How To Bring Your Desktop Computer To A Foreign Country

How To Bring Your Desktop Computer To A Foreign Country

If you want to take your desktop computer with you to a foreign country, you may need to buy a current converter to make it work in some countries, including most of Portugal.

Steps to follow

1. Check the installation guide that came with your computer

It will tell you if it is configured to run on both 110 (or 115) volt and 220 (or 230) volt systems.

2. If your manual says it does run on both, or if you cannot find your manual,look on the back of your computer.

There should be a small window near the power switch with a red or orange tab showing that reads “115”. Attached to this tab is a small orange switch that can be moved with a pen or small screwdriver.

This switch may be covered with a small label, to prevent accidental movement. If you have this on the back of your CPU, it is made to handle dual currents.

3. You can confirm this by completely disconnecting the power supply, and then sliding the switch to one side (toward the “115”).

This should reveal a similar small orange tab that says “230”. You will still need a plug adapter to convert it to a type C or E plug.

4. If your computer does not have this capability built in, you will need to purchase a 230<->115 step down transformer to power your computer.

This, however, will not change the frequency of the current (from 50Hz to 60 Hz), so you may experience a reduced life expectancy on your computer due to heat build up.

You will need the step down transformer to power most other peripherals, such as your monitor or printer, unless your CPU has outlets on the back that these connect to. I suggest the somewhat higher priced ones with a built in power converter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *